Pages

To Capturing Life...

Did you just get your new camera? Do you want to make the leap from snapping photos to making arts? Then I invite you to take that journey with me, an artistically challenged guy who enjoys capturing life's moments with a pound of technology and an ounce of creativity. I hope my site can ignite your spark of imagination. Let's record the light of our lives together!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A stable tripod goes a long way

Ravelli APGL3 Professional Three Axis Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Dual Quick Release Plates and Carry BagToday I will be introducing one member of the very limited gear selection that I actually own - Ravelli APGL3 Professional Tripod.

Acquisition:
I got this bad boy on Amazon.com and got it shipped to Point Robert's Letter Carrier and bussed down to pick it up! For those of you who are unfamiliar with Letter Carrier, it is one of many reception services provided near the boarder for Canadians to shop on US website and have it delivered to them for a small fee (~$3).
Price: 
Now I paid $55 for this guy but now I checked Amazon it's $83.69 + shippings. I suggest maybe wait for a while, and see if the price drops. If it does not, 90 dollar is well worth the money as well!

What will you get?
Included in this package is the tripod, a carrying bag, and a mini-tripod that the company usually gives out as gift.

Some Specs:

  • Extended Length: 70.25"
  • Folded Length: 25"
  • Diameter: 45"
  • Tripod Weight: 2.5 LBS
  • Head Weight: 6LBS
  • Shipping Weight: 10LBS

Good Impression:
Weight/Stability 
The very first thing you will notice is just how heavy this thing is. With a massive 10 lbs weight (compared to the usual 2-3 lbs. tripod), this guy is a tank and is so stable that it won't drop your gears in any conditions.

Padded Legs
The legs are padded which give it a very good grip. I don't feel it being heavy even when I grab it with one hand. 

Fluid Head
The head is super fluid that I would take videos with it any day. There is absolutely no comparison to the tripods you get for 80 bucks at  Future Shop.

Some Cons:
Weight
If you are traveling uphill or travelling with tripod, then this might not be your top choice due to the weight. For some girls out there, this might be a lot to carry as well. My thought, however, is that if you go travel, don't bring a tripod at all! The IS that comes with your zoom lens or a F1.8 prime would suffice for almost any scenario. Don't let your camera gear get in the way of your travelling!!!

Assembled Head
I think this is the ONLY complaint I have for this tripod. The 3 knobs you see on the pictures are actually detachable, and it will ONLY fit in the bag if you detach them... It becomes a hassle if you are super concerned about having the tripod fit snuggly in the bag. What I started doing is simply let the head sticks out. Still very practical as it won't get in the way and at the same time people won't think I have a sniper rifle on my back!

Conclusion:
If you are looking for a super stable tripod that will withstand any sorts of punishment, this is your guy.  Ravelli APGL3 Professional Tripod in my opinion is well worth its money and I have had very good experience with it.

If you liked the review please help me by either buying the tripod from the links on my website (help me the most), or click on the google ads to the side, or even just coming back from time to times to check my new blog posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment